Wednesday, January 12, 2011

'Tween Scene

Hol...y Crap! Last night Mumbles let me have it. Apparently, volleyball is a big damn deal.We'd just finished up dinner and she started talking about how she didn't think she was going to be able to play volleyball next year because everyone else has already been playing and they are all really good. She went on to say that if she didn't play in middle school she'd never get to play in high school which, mind you, is two and half years away. I told her it wasn't a big deal. Nobody knows how to play in 7th grade and it's more about learning the game and having fun than about being awesome at it. "Not here! I told you, I wanted to play and you did nothing! It's like you're ignoring me!" she said, her eyes welling up. 'You're ignoring me.' Those words cut me. I'd worried about this happening since the day I found out I was pregnant with Charlie. She never had to share me before. She was the baby of the family and my only baby and now suddenly, she wasn't. It was all I could do to get through the rest of the conversation with her without being overcome with tears of my own.

The next day I asked her if, now that she had time to sleep on it, she still felt the same way or if she was maybe tired or having a bad day. She admitted that she was tired and did have a rough day and that might have had something to do with her mood the previous evening. I told Mumbles that I never want her to feel like I am ignoring her. Yes, her brother needs a lot of attention and yes, I forget stuff all. the. time. But, I'm never ignoring her and if she felt like I was, not to wait until she has a meltdown to say something.

I miss kindergarten when all it took to be cool was sending 'pupcakes' to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment