Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Surprise!

For the sake of not sounding like a whining hag, I'm going to tell this story but it comes with a disclosure. You may, after reading this, be seething with jealousy. All I can say is: Na-na, na boo-boo.

Micha and I celebrate our anniversary on New Years' Eve and this year he insisted that he had something really special planned. He refused to tell me what it was. Now it isn't that I don't love surprises, especially his, but this sort of thing makes me crazy because I need to know what to wear! After a few weeks of badgering him with questions about what these big, super-secret plans were, I was sure I knew what we were going to do.

~~~~~flashback~~~~~

When I was pregnant with Charlie, 37 weeks in fact, Micha's friend won tickets to see Alice in Chains. He asked me if he could go, to which I answered yes. I wasn't worried about going into labor as much as I was bummed that I wasn't getting to go. My consolation prize: Micha agreed to go to a drag show with me.

~~~~~flashforward~~~~~

The big, super-secret surprise was actually planned for the night before New Years Eve, so after work and no less than an hour agonizing over accessories, I raced home to primp for my big date. I was certain that we were going to dinner in the city and then to a drag show. I was so excited plus, I love to play dress up! All dolled up and ready to go we set out in the Town Car into the city. Then, out of nowhere, Micha exited off the interstate way too early. I wracked my brain for an idea of where on Earth we were going but came up blank. 'There isn't a thing out here,' I thought. We passed a bar called Lumpy's but I was pretty sure I was overdressed for that. Finally, he hands me a card. Inside is a gift certificate for....
A plane ride over the Country Club Plaza!!!!
OMG! Way cooler than a drag show! I've always wanted to see the Plaza lights at Christmas time. Bob was our pilot and did nothing to calm any nerves we might have had about flying in 50 mph winds in a little four seater! The lights were amazing! And not just the Plaza light, the view of the whole city with Christmas lights, street lamps and cars was...amazing! I got to see it all from 2,500 feet. Once we'd made our way over the downtown and Country Club Plaza areas, Micha asked our pilot if we got a souvenier of any kind, "Maybe these head sets?" he asked. Bob handed me a small package wrapped in tissue paper and tied with a ribbon. He'd said earlier that the burned out bulbs were hand-painted and sold as gifts, so I was hoping for one of those. It was just a candle, but tied to the ribbon was a ring. Yup. Twenty five thousand feet in the air above Kansas City, Micha asked me to be his wife.

I've known for some time now that Micha is the person that I want to get old and senile with and I've known for some time now that he feels the same way. Marriage, though, was just not something I was ever interested in. Micha's gifts are always what I least expect and never knew I wanted.
No idea what is about to happen...


Holy Crap! I'm engaged!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment