Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An open letter to Facebook users and admins....

OK, Facebook Admins, I get it. There's some programing algorithm, far too complex for my sleep deprived mind, that monitors how many times a particular page has been reported and after 'x' number of times the page gets slated for deactivation. However; in the case of one of my favorite pages The Leaky B@@b, I urge you to reconsider. Why should Facebook grant The Leaky B@@b clemency? Let me tell you.

Upon finding out I was pregnant with baby number 2, I ravenously read every piece of information about pregnancy, childbirth, vaccinations, and breastfeeding in preparation for Charlie's arrival. In particular, breastfeeding, I learned is, was and always will be the hands-down, bar-none, best way to feed a baby...period. I also stumbled across a wonderfully warm and supportive community of like-minded Mommies. A community I wished I'd had 12 years ago when I gave up breastfeeding my first child after only two months. A place where success is sometimes measured in ounces or milliliters; sometimes in days, months and even years.

Charlie arrived and it seemed I had forgotten how difficult those first few weeks can be. My nipples were blistered and bled. Charlie was nursing sometimes every half hour, sometimes for three or four hours at a time. Who could I reach out to at three o'clock in the morning while the rest of the world slumbered? My Leakies. Somewhere in the world, there was another mother going through the exact same thing. Everywhere there were mother's who'd gone through the exact same thing and come out the other side with most of their sanity intact and willing to give encouragement to their Leaky sisters. Through nipple pain, engorgement, under-supply, over-supply, milk-blisters, reflux and even worries about what color my son's poop should be, there have been Leaky sisters at the ready to offer support, advice and more than a few laughs. We share lactation cookie recipes, anecdotes about our nurslings and most importantly our triumphs and sometimes, our heartbreaks.

The Leaky B@@b Facebook page was a refuge for women who were tired, lacked support in their real world communities and sometimes just needed a break. It was a resource for mother's looking for words of wisdom from those who came before them. It promotes making the healthiest choice for feeding our children from the start. Nothing obscene or hateful about that. If Facebook is supposed to be about connectivity and sharing, then TLB epitomized those ideals.

Leakies are not naive about those who might view the page and it's contents for other, less wholesome reasons. If anything we are more keenly aware of the existence of these types of individuals. We don't need any more protection from them, than we do going out into the real world. There's nothing indecent about the photos or information we share, frankly I've seen more cleavage on the Victoria Secret fan page. And yes, I am a fan of that page as well, because I'm aware that I can be both a lover and a mother; both sexy and nurturing. Where'd you think all these babies came from?

We, The Leakies, respectfully request that The Leaky B@@b Facebook page be reinstated. Furthermore, we ask that Facebook community members stop reporting the page. The content is what is normal and natural for mothers and babies and has been the world over, since man's beginning. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Kirstin A- Leaky for 13 weeks and counting....

No comments:

Post a Comment